Here are a few easy-to-apply self defense tips. Get familiar with them. They could make the difference between life and death. My martial art master Grandmaster Dong) often tells me that the best way to survive a life and death situation is to mentally prepare for it. Imagine yourself in that situation and ask yourself “what would I do?” So while you are reading the following tips, try to picture yourself in that situation and think about how you would apply the knowledge.
- Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
- Learned this from a tourist guide in New Orleans. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you….chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
- If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won’t see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
- Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON’T DO THIS!) The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.
- A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:
a) Be aware: look around you; look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
b) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
c) Look at the car parked on the driver’s side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
- ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)
- If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; and even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, preferably in a zig-zag pattern!
- As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP. It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked “for help” into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
- Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before l ast, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her “Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.”
The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, “We already have a unit on the way, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.” He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby’s cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby’s cries outside their doors when they’re home alone at night.
Please pass this on and DO NOT open the door for a crying baby —- This information should probably be taken seriously because the Crying Baby theory was mentioned on America’s Most Wanted when they profiled the serial killer in Louisiana.
************* Another warning ***********
Share this with all the people you care about. It may save their life.
Here’s a final tip. Ask yourself what you would do in the above scenarios if you were empty handed. Then ask yourself “If I were in this scenario, I wish I had a.” Whatever that is, please have a good understanding how to use it. Believe me, you won’t have time to dig out that instruction manual or figure out how to turn the safety switch off.
By the way, using a TASER is a lot easier than people think. Check out the video below and see how easy it is to use a TASER to take down a bad guy.
Crime happens whether you are ready or not. So when it happens, you better be ready. Do not wait; your safety is priceless! Protect yourself with a stun gun now!